Thursday, April 06, 2006

Visit with the Midwife

Tuesday was my 24 week checkup with the midwife. She says that Hailey is doing fine and has a good heartbeat. Unfortunately, Mommy (that'd be me) has put on 9lbs since my last visit 4 weeks ago!! I was so surprised when she said this that I didn't know how to respond. I check my weight at least 3 times a week at home, and I've only put on 5 lbs at the most since I hit the 20 week mark (I'm only supposed to gain 1 lb a week). I really have not been going too crazy with the food...except for the ice cream that I eat almost every night. Why am I putting on so much weight????

Well, I kind of think that a few of the lbs can be explained by the fact that I was wearing a jacket and knee high boots when they weighed me this time. Still, I'm going to turn over a new leaf and try to eat a little healthier. What's crazy is that I'm not eating any worse than I did before I was pregnant. I am, however, eating red meat which I've never done before. I'm going to blame the cows for this because I'm sure that it can't be the ice cream (and even if it were, that would be their fault too)!

4 comments:

ann said...

I wish I could stop laughing!!!! You are too funny!!! Don't worry, it all comes off after the baby is born. (Ha! And I have some great swamp land I'll sell you cheap)

Don't worry about it. Your body is storing ever ounce in case it needs it for you or the baby. If you're that concerned ease up on the ice cream and try walking everyday. Did I ever tell you about my first pregnancy and my constant Fritos eating?

Anonymous said...

Alisa,

I think sometimes expectant moms hit a "heavy month," but then the next month may be a 2 or 3 lb. month. Don't worry. Your body will need some extra weight for when the baby comes, especially if you plan to nurse.

Try drinking more water -- sometimes if you're not getting enough fluid your body will retain water (at least that's what my sister tells me).

Also, if you usually start out with a really sugary breakfast, try starting out with a more "proteiny" one. Sometimes this will help you quench cravings that pop up b/c you'll metabolize more evenly. Try wheat toast with some peanut butter and fruit. Really yummy and satisfying.

Good luck

Anonymous said...

For heavens sake...your like a little toothpick with a belly. Chill out and enjoy the fact that you can eat what you want now and put on some weight. After the baby is a different story. Take that dog for a walk every night right after you eat that bowl of ice cream....
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Alisa and Luke... did you know that Dreyers makes a "slow-churned, rich and creamy, 1/2 fat ice cream now? Comes in fabulous flavors! It is sooo good!! I know because I live by it... almost every night! Hey, sometimes it doesn't hurt to watch the fat! (Trust me you won't know it's missing!)
Love,
Aunt Nancy