Thursday, May 08, 2008

A Little Dip


Sorry for the lag in the blogosphere. I’ve been running a bit behind after being out all last week. I’m back now with all new stories and Hailey adventures. My favorite occurred last Sunday when we were visiting Grandma and Papa Harry in Virginia. Luke and I decided that it would be fun to take Hailey on her first canoe ride. Little did we know that Josie, our dog, also wanted desperately to come with us. We tried to leave her on the shore, but she kept trying to swim out to us. Finally, we relented and let her in the canoe as well.

Once we were a good distance from shore, Hailey decided that she wanted to paddle with the oar all by herself. So, Luke let her play with it for a while. When it was time to head back, he took the oar away from her. She, however, decided that she could still paddle by leaning over the side of the boat to paddle with her hand. Do you see where this is going? Yup, Josie shifts, Hailey slips, and she goes head first into the water. Luckily, Luke, with his lightening fast reflexes, grabbed one of her legs on her way down. So, there he is plucking her out of the water by one leg. She was about half way in for maybe a second. She was pissed!!!!! Oh, there was screaming. I watched the whole thing from the front of the boat and found it absolutely hysterical. Oh wait, I mean, I was completely distraught and concerned for the safety of my child. Isn’t that what I’m supposed to say?

1 comment:

ann said...

Please tell me you had a lifejacket on that child!!! When you were her age, you were a swimming pro! Maybe some Mommy/Hailey swimming lessons are in order!

When is it my turn to babysit without Mom around????