Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Craig's List Wins and Losses




I’m trying to cope with the emotional blow of having my first Craig’s List failure. For someone who has lived by the CL for months, it’s sad to have to admit that I made a mistake. Last weekend I purchased an older model Ragazzi crib for $125. That’s a good price for that brand of crib, but the crib itself was not “white” as had been described in the ad. Instead, it was a very very blond wood. Having driven 20 miles to go get the stupid thing, I figured that we could just paint it. My poor mother (who has been in town for a week helping me) was charged with doing just that. Well, today she threw in the towel. The organic paint that we bought was just not covering on the finish. So, we’ve given up, and I’m searching for a new crib. All in all, I will probably end up spending more on the crib than I would have if I had simply purchased a cheaper new one. That makes me sad. But, here’s what makes me happy…


Changing table + baskets – Craig’s List = $40; New price = $150; Savings =$110

Bunk beds – Online price = $426; New price = $2,148; Savings = $1,722

Britax Car Seat – Craig’s List = $85; New price = $160; Savings = $75

Doll House + Furniture – Craig’s List = $50; New price = $125; Savings=$75

Crib Bedding – Craig’s List = $40; New price = $80; Savings = $40

Total Savings = $2,022


So, if I spend a little extra on a new crib, I think that I'll still come out ahead. I've already found two others that I like and will probably pick one up tonight. I'll just make sure that I like everything about it before I fork over the cash this time!!!

No comments: