Monday, April 27, 2009

More Worm Fun






Hailey and her friend Kellen had a little adventure at our garden last week. I put them in charge of distributing and burying the worms that I had ordered. They took care of a few other chores like watering and picking strawberries as well. Of course, the red that you see around their mouths is actually strawberry juice, and no, I don't always wash the strawberries first. People have been consuming organically grown, fresh veggies and fruits for millions of years. So, I say, let them eat dirt! Ok, I try to wipe them off as best I can, but their hand to mouth speed is sometimes faster than I can catch.


Anyway, I love having my girls up at the garden (it's still weird to say my girls), even though Hailey won't touch worms and gets a little weird about the dirt as well. It's good for them to see how their food is grown and to pick their own veggies. I know that Hailey's love of tomatoes comes from the fact that she can pick those cherry tomatoes and just pop them right in her mouth. We've expanded the garden this year, so I'm hoping that maybe some of the tomatoes will actually make it in my mouth too. I encourage everyone to try growing a cherry tomato plant or two even if you do it in a pot on a patio. It's rewarding, fun, and delicious!

2 comments:

nro said...

i have a worm compost in my garage, and it is the best entertainment for my neighbors next door (3 and 4 yrs old)... it is the first thing they ask to see when they come over!

Nanna Mary said...

OMGosh! If I had known you needed worms, I could have provided a bucketful on my last visit. I'd be delighted to reduce the moles' food supply. 'Cause where there are worms, there are moles. And with the damage to my backyard this year, I have more than my share of worms and hungry moles!

When u come up for Jesse's wedding, Hailey can actually learn hands-on where worms come from - and it ain't the store! Bring an old kitty litter tub and we'll fill that sucker up!