Monday, June 30, 2008

Hyper- Hypo-Chondriac and Her Mother



Over the weekend, Hailey started drooling like a geriatric patient without teeth and sticking her fingers into the back of her mouth. I figured she was teething, but a quick Google search revealed that she isn't scheduled to get any teeth at 24 months. What the heck could be wrong with her? At dinner tonight, she would put a piece of food in her mouth and then just start crying. This made me a bit nervous so I asked her:


"Does your mouth hurt?"
"Yes"

"Does your throat hurt?"
"Yes"

"Does your tongue hurt?"
"Yes"

Hmmm....that's no help. I started thinking that maybe her tonsils are red and irritated OR maybe her adenoids are inflamed (are adenoids in your throat?) OR perhaps, it's actually her uvula which is swollen to twice its size (your uvula is in your throat...you don't forget a word like uvula).

Ok. Time to pull out Mommy's secret weapon - the miniature flashlight. Why I insist on pretending I can see down her throat is a mystery to me!!! Regardless, after much coaxing, she finally opened her mouth and let me take a look inside. What is the cause of all of her pain and misery? A teeny, tiny cut on the tip of her tongue!

2 comments:

ann said...

You're funny! Such a Mom!

peter said...

Oh, my god! Call the rescue squad...is there an ambulatory center nearby?? This is what you get for living in a backwater like Atlanta ;-)

Love,
Dad