Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ode to Manipulation

Last weekend when my doe-eyed child looked up, held her arms out and said, “My Mommy,” I unsuspectingly swooped her up in my arms and said “Of course I’m your Mommy, and I love you very much.” That was the beginning of the end for my independence this vacation. Every two seconds, we were dealing with “My Mommy” or “My Daddy,” which was used as a demand to be picked up immediately.

This became increasingly troublesome any time Hailey approached a sandy area (which was the entire island!). If our little angel had shoes on, the sand made her freeze immediately in place. Then, she would cry, “rocks in my shoes” because apparently when you’re almost 2, fine sand particles have the same effect as having shards of glass in your shoes. God forbid she take even one step on the sand. Nope, better to cry “My Mommy” and hope that your easily manipulated Mommy will save you from the torture.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay... her lead-in was irresistable, and anyone with a pulse would have fallen for it. Still pretty funny.

I'm just waiting for all the "really cute pictures" you promised from Belize (btw - it was awesomely thoughtful of you to send the "picture postcard" emails...a real treat for those of us back home chained to the treadmill)!

peter said...

Jeez, that kid is smart.

ann said...

And her easily manipulated mommy gave in every time, right?