Friday, September 21, 2007

The "No" Phase



As if the "toddling" around the house on two legs wasn't enough of a sign that Hailey has hit her toddler years, we’ve gotten one more clue this week with the onset of The "No" Phase. It’s unfortunate but true. My little angel now responds to every question, suggestion, or inference with a solid “no.” Well, sometimes it’s a solid “no,” sometimes it’s a whiny “nnnnnooooo,” and sometimes it’s a noncommittal “na.” What happened to my sweet child?

Of course, my reaction to this new development was to immediately ask the parenting experts (through Google, of course). A few minutes of research later, I’d come up with the following strategies to handle The “No” Phase.


1) Don't use "no" ourselves except in cases of emergency. Instead, say "uh uh" or "not right now" or better yet, give a rationale for why it's not appropriate or what she can do to be more appropriate. For example, say, "It hurts Mama when you hit her. Please be gentle with Mama like this"

2) Use humor to get a real answer and lighten the mood.

3) Help her understand the consequences of "no" when she really means "yes." This might involve saying "No, you don't want milk? Ok. Well, I'll put it right here and if you want it, you can say Milk please or yes when I ask you."

4) Don't make a big deal out of a "no" from her.

5) Offer her choices instead of a "yes/no" option. For example, "would you like a banana or oatmeal?" "Would you like to wear the pink pants or the brown pants?"

6) Distract her when doing things that she considers unpleasant such as getting dressed, having a diaper change, getting buckled into the car seat.

7) Let her do things on her own time frame. For example, "Do you want to eat breakfast?" "No" "Do you want to eat breakfast in 5 minutes?" "No" "Ok, well, you tell me when you are ready to eat breakfast, and I'll put you in your chair."

8) Keep a schedule! Be sure that she is getting regular meals and naps because it's much worse when she's tired or hungry.

9) Overexagerate the positives with praise, if she ever replies affirmatively.

If these don’t work, then I will have to resign myself to the fact that my child is simply a brat and that it is most likely my fault for ruining her forever. To avoid this dreadful fate, please submit any suggestions you have for helping us cope with Hailey’s new found negativity.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, for most kids it doesn't last too long. Like any new word, she is just enjoying trying it out and seeing your response. I found that taking him literally when he just arbitrarily answered every question with a no really helped. It didn't take him long to realize that the word has meaning and consequences and now he thinks about the question before he gives it a yes or a no. She's not a brat..not by a long shot, she's just a typical toddler who is learning how much control she has over her circumstances and what her place is in your family. The good news is that she seems to be doing everything much earlier than most kids, which means you have the potential to have come out on the other side of the terrible twos before she actually hits her second birthday!

peter said...

Well, I'm sorry, but I can't stop laughing. That was the funniest thing I've ever seen! Of course, it's easy for a grandparent to say when you're a thousand miles away and I don't have to hear the whiny, screechy "Nooooo" on a consistent basis. However, clearly...the child is ruined forever. Nice work.

;-)
Love,
Dad

Ps. Oh, By the way...I agree with Katie.

peter said...

PPS. As I told you on the phone, I also believe that "Nooo" is a word that is a lot easier to form in her mouth. And it's a lot easier to play with than "Yes," which is much harder to form with the tongue. She's experimenting.

ann said...

Oh that was a pleasure to watch. Maybe because misery loves company. What's so funny is that she goes from calm and content to enraged and back again so easily! ACTING!

Ok - I've got much to say about this one. Years ago, I too was in that same situation and looked to other moms, books, experts...for help. I too tried all the recommended advice. Here's what hindsight has taught me:

1) Don't give too much explanation. No is no - you're the parent. You don't have to explain everything. This will come in handy when she's 15 and want to go to some house party where you don't know the parents. Trust me on this!
2) Learn to laugh! At Hailey, the situation...all of it. It's not a reflection on your parenting skills. She's just becoming her own person.
3) Ignore her as much as possible. The more attention you give her (positive or neative) the more she will do it to get your attention. I was in the check out line at Walmart the other day and this poor woman in front of me had this screaming 2 year old who wanted candy. The mother picked up a magazine and read it while the kid was screaming. There were so many people around shaking their heads, but after about 10 minutes the kid stopped. I congratulated the mom for not giving in. Very impressive!
4) Never - ever give in once you've made a decision. Once they've got you - they've got you!

This reminds me of the list on your mom's refrigerator. Now it's time for you to make your own list for your daughter! Ah - the great circle of life!

Love you!