Monday, September 24, 2007

Powdered Milk

Those of you who have known me for a while have probably heard about my disturbing childhood trauma involving powdered milk. If you haven’t already heard it, let me share it briefly now.

Like most people, I have very few memories from early childhood. About ten years ago when I was in college (oh my…was it that long ago!??!?), I had a flashback to a vivid memory of my parents forcing me to drink powdered milk. My parents swear that the reason for their deceit was simply that I could not digest regular milk. Still, I’m traumatized by the memory, and I take every possible opportunity to remind them of their total failure as parents, which is clearly illustrated by their feeding me powdered milk. I don’t know what made these memories haunt me in college, but I’ve vowed many times that I would never force my children to drink powdered milk. See, these are the vows that you should not make until you become a parent!

Fast forward to Hailey’s first birthday a few months ago. She has a little tummy problem and starts having diarrhea when she drinks regular whole milk. The doctor tells me to give her a few weeks on the Lactaid and then switch her back to regular milk. I gave her almost a month on the Lactaid, but when I tried to switch her gradually back to regular milk a few weeks ago, she started having the diarrhea again. So, I’ve retreated back to the Lactaid. Could it be that my child inherited what I thought was my fictional lactose issue that my parents swear warranted powdered milk?

I’m not sure what the answer is yet, but I have to admit that I found myself wandering around the grocery store Sunday looking for powdered milk for Hailey. Lucky for her, I didn’t find it, but I think that it may be coming in her near future. I just think that it’s probably safer to travel to Italy with powdered milk than to trust that they will have something for her intolleranza al lattosio (lactose intolerant) belly.

1 comment:

peter said...

And, Of course, you KNEW I would immediately write back in defense of our parenting. I distinctly remember the doctor telling us, after having MUCUS in your stool for a week (too much information??)that maybe you could not digest milk well. In fact (and I'll never forget these words) he said "You know, there are some people who believe that cow's milk should be strictly for cows." After that, and without the benefit of "Lactaid" in those days, we switched you to powdered milk from time to time. But I don't EVER remember FORCING it down your throat! In fact, didn't you tell me during your teen years that you couldn't eat ice cream because it was too rich and gave you a tummy-ache?? Ah-HA! And now your own sweet baby is demonstrating similar traits. Believe me, it won't be the last thing she picks up from you. You see how karma can get you when you're mean to your parents?

Love,
Dad