Monday, September 10, 2007

Random Cranky Mumblings

Let me start this blog by saying that I don’t feel good, which is pretty rare for me. Hailey has a chest cold and has been coughing for two weeks. Over the weekend, I broke down and gave her some Triaminic strips. Suddenly, she’s cured and I have a chest cold. Wonderful. Oh, but let me point out that giving children medicine in dissolvable strip form is about the best idea that anyone has ever come up with. In fact, I’d put it in my top 10 child rearing inventions ever.

Anyway, all that to say that I’m in a very cranky mood. Luke, however, should be in a very good mood because he’s been offered a position teaching on Monday nights at the Portfolio Center in Atlanta. I think that he’s pretty excited about it, and I’m pretty excited for him. And yet, it brings back mixed feelings for me as I know that I will probably never have the opportunity to teach. I could have finished my PhD, but I didn’t. It was a path not chosen, and I don’t look back on that choice often. But every once in a while, when I’m sick and cranky and in a crappy mood, I reflect on the doors that I’ve closed. Not that I couldn’t some day go back, but I can’t even imagine that right now. Couple that with the fact that I’ve been looking around for a topical blog to write on a regular basis. Unfortunately, all of the sponsored blog sites want bloggers who are “experts.” I’m not an expert at anything. I’m not even a semi-expert at anything, and so, I’ll keep up this blog for you but won’t be writing for the masses any time soon. Wish me better health and a better attitude in the future.

5 comments:

nro said...

a) i am confused... explain to me why you can't teach without a phd? cause i am pretty sure that is not a requirement, so no complaining about that (not-closed) closed door, missy!

b) if you decide that you do want to go back and finish your phd, you absolutely can... not tomorrow, but when you feel ready.

c) if you are feeling cranky, curl up on the couch and introduce your beautiful baby girl to the most fabulous movie of all time, clueless... always makes me feel better! she is still a bit young for evil dead - maybe next year. ;)

d) maybe you can take a triamenic strip (or 10) and they will help you feel not so cranky/sick. [note: i am not a medical doctor, nor should any medical advice dispersed by this source be taken as actual advice worth following]

- nikki

Alisa Hamilton said...

Ok. Nikki's right. I'm over it. I have a new issue to gripe about.

peter said...

Your PHD will be waiting for you whenever you're ready.

Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking...if Luke can teach without a degree, why can't you?

Futher, I don't buy the fundamental proposition that your options are defined by the typical academic model. You are not a thrall to that system, because you are 1.)already a substantially talented, entertaining writer, and 2.)I suspect you could become an "expert" voice in whatever field captures your interest - by sheer stint of will and the application of your inherent gift. To be more specific, your gift is relating to people via the written word - using insight, humor, truth and everyday experience. To be honest, I would read and be impressed by your Mommy Diary even if I had never laid eyes on you.

There is something in this whole experience that you may (as yet) be unaware of...you are really good at it!

xxoox,
-mh

ann said...

We all make our paths in life. Sometimes we don't "choose the path less taken". But there are always new roads for us. My best friend's mother used to always say, "Everytime God closes a door, He opens a window." Sadly it's taken me 40+ years to realize this, but she was absolutely right. You make your future and you can re-make it whenever you want or need to. Take it from someone who has recently re-made her path...it can be done and you are never too old to make your dreams come true.

Plus you've got the added bonus of a wonderful family to support you ever step of the way.