Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Hailey Dictionary

In preparation for our upcoming trip to Italy, my Dad and I have been learning Italian. Well, he’s learning Italian; I’m listening to some undecipherable language courses on CD whenever I have a chance. I would hardly call that learning Italian, particularly since I haven’t made it past the first CD.

Anyway, he was kind enough to write up a summary of all of the most important phrases, including “for God’s sake.” Not sure how that one made the list, but I digress. It’s been a while since any of Hailey’s grandparents have spent a significant amount of time with her. Her pronunciation of words is well, let’s just say, toddleresque (go figure). So, I thought that I’d put together my own dictionary of Hailey speak just to help them out on the trip. Here goes:

Ank uh – Thank you.

At – Hat. This word is usually followed by some attempt to put the hat on herself.

Ba – That’s ball. She can find a ball in almost any situation. You’d be amazed.

Baf – Bath

Boop – Book, one of her favorite things in the world thanks to Mommy’s great genetics

Bubba – Bubble

Cat – She’s pretty right on with cat.

Cup – Don’t get confused with up. There’s a clear difference.

Dada – You’d think this would be obvious, but might be Dada; might be doggy; might be Mama.

Doggy – Usually that’s decipherable and involves pointing at something resembling a dog (not always actually a dog).

Dow – Down. You’ll know because there will be squirming.

Gases – Glasses. Usually followed by an attempt to pull the glasses off of your face, subsequently poking you in the eye.

Gabba – A goofy show called Gabba Gabba on TV that Luke watches with her. Now, she points to remotes and says Gabba.

Goo Goo – That’s good girl, usually said to a dog

I waaa uuuhh – I love you. We’re working on that one.

Mama – Again, could be tricky. Might be Mama; might be Dada; might be a random stranger.

Mao – Nope, not the Chinese dictator, that’s mouth. Might also sound like Maof

Milk – There’s no denying that one. She’s right on when it comes to food.

No – Ok. This is a tricky one, and you’ll hear it a lot. Might mean no, might mean yes, might mean nose if accompanied by pointing at her nose.

Peace – That’s please; she’s not a flower child.

Teef – Teeth, that’s an easy one.

Tsao – Ciao! Her only Italian word!

Up – Needs to be preceded or followed by please and not include whining in order for you to actually pick her up.

Well, that’s all I’ve got. She probably says more stuff, but this should get you through your week with her. May the force be with us all!

4 comments:

peter said...

Oh, noooo! Another language to learn? I'm still working on Italian (and I think I'm forgetting English). But at least this one is accompanied by the cutest face EVER!

Love,
Grandpa Pete

PS. I'm STILL laughing.

Anonymous said...

I have yet to learn one word in Italian. That is because I am still working on the appropriate English verbiage to say, "shut-up-and-stop-trying-to-make-me-feel-guilty-for-going-to-Italy" to my Dad, who is executing his best "guilt manuevers" on me daily...those carefully cultivated and devastatingly effective forms of manipulation that only a parent can do excruciatingly well.

But now, thanks to Alisa, I will have one invaluable foreign language primer with me - Hailey's! Being able to communicate lovingly and semi-smoothly with my 15-month old granddaughter will be a delicious and delightful relief from these past months with my 87-yr old Dad!

ann said...

What you obviously haven't figure out yet is that only parents can understand the rambling of a toddler. She is without a doubt the cutest child in the world!!!

And you, I must admit, are probably the most in-tuned, attentive mother in the world.

Anonymous said...

Well we're almost packed and ready to go. We bought the Italian tapes and phrase book. Don't speak a word yet..but we'll be able to communicate with Hailey and that's all that counts.

Love Grandma Scott