Monday, November 12, 2007

Post-Vacation Blues



There’s something about that week after a long vacation that’s difficult to deal with. It goes a little beyond just the back-to-work blues. I think it’s the sense of possibility that you develop on vacation being slowly squashed by the mundane din of your everyday life. Oh, I’ve got it bad! It’s true though. Vacation makes you realize that there is so much more to the world beyond what’s right outside your door. It also helps us to understand just how adaptable we really are (even while toting around a toddler). We came back from vacation thinking, we could move to Italy, Germany, Canada, etc. We could travel around the world! Then, just as we were about to begin dreaming about all of the adventures we’ll have during the rest of our lives, we realized that we first need to finish 25 loads of laundry, make dinner, clean up the house, bathe the baby, and collapse into bed at 10:30. Not that I don’t love my everyday life. It’s just a contrast to the possibilities and excitement set out before you on every vacation day!

Ok. Enough of my whining. Let’s get back to reality. To try to capture a little of that excitement, I’ve decided to start my own little freelance writing adventure. I’m going to start offering my writing and research services on the open market or at least to friends and past colleagues that might need it. I know that the holidays are a terrible time to start something new, but I just want to feel a little more professionally fulfilled. I’m hoping that this will give me a chance to exercise my creativity a little bit more.

I know. I know. You’re probably asking, “Where are the Italy pictures?????” The answer is they’re still on Luke’s computer. There are hundreds and hundreds to go through, retouch, post, etc. We’re working on it. How about as a compromise, I’ll give you these two naked Hailey baby pictures? That’s should keep you quiet for a while.


4 comments:

peter said...

What, I don't even get a photo credit for taking the naked baby pics? Oh, well, I just want to say that being with my girls was the best part of being in Italy. Sure, it's a beautiful country, the history, the food, the wine...blah, blah, blah. I enjoyed vacationing, too, but when you're a retired grandpa, your girls are more important...besides, every day is vacation for me. Sorry...I didn't mean to rub it in. And as crazy as this country currently is...there's no place like home.

ann said...

Well, I have to say it was a joy to see Hailey...ok, you too. She is such a beautiful, happy child! The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. You can talk about wanting to have adventures traveling the globe. As for me, (and maybe I've finally entered that "old person" mentality, like your Dad did years and years ago)seeing you, Hailey, your Mom, Harry, and friends makes me realize that sometimes we get so caught up in our own little worlds that we forget about what's waiting for us "right outside our door." That's what I dream of...watching Hailey grow up, laughing with friends, harassing my sister. That's what matters to me most.

As for the writing career, I'm sure there is lots of work I can send your way. I just don't know if I can afford you!

And I'm serious about the book...you should send these blogs to a publisher!

-Ann

peter said...

Ummmm..."years and years ago" ...thanks, Ann.

PS. Sad but true.

Anonymous said...

I think you should write an article about traveling to Italy with a baby for Parents Magazine. Does that still exist? You know what I mean, though. At least jot down Italy highlights if you haven't already and go from there. Being retired, I'm full of ideas!
love
aunt joan