Monday, November 05, 2007

Be Happy, Buy This

We’re home safely from Italy. We had an absolutely wonderful visit, but I’m still digesting all of the great memories. In the next day or so, once I get some pictures, I’ll post some of the highlights. In the meantime, here are my thoughts on things in the US that don’t seem so normal anymore:

  1. Why are all the cars so damn big here?
  2. What?!?!No vino with lunch?
  3. Cappucino, per favore.No, I don’t need a grande.Just a teeny tiny cup with some super strong coffee and frothy milk.Geez.
  4. American people, you need to drive in the right lane, and move over to the left lane only when passing. Ok, so that doesn’t work as well in gridlock.
  5. Only one course for dinner??!?!? Are you kidding me? We prefer 3 courses spanning 3-4 hours and followed by tiramisu and cappuccino.
  6. TV…oh how I didn’t miss you. I’d trade you any day for a beautiful mountain view.
Can I just point out one more thing that really struck me when we came home and actually turned on the TV (to watch football, of course)? What struck me was how deeply we are engrossed in the consumer culture of the US that we don’t even see how absurd the commercials are anymore. For example, there were tons of commercials that follow this premise… “if you want your family to be happy and to love each other, then buy them a [fill in the blank - minivan, flat screen TV, hamburger helper meal].” Does anyone ever stop to think how absolutely ridiculous this premise is???? People in other countries don’t have minivans, hamburger helper, flat screen TVs or even microwaves (in some cases), and you know what, I could make a strong case that they are every bit as happy, if not happier than we are. Just ridiculous. Maybe instead of buying more and more crap, we should consider spending time with our families, feeding them healthy meals, and maybe, just maybe, turning off that flat screen TV so that we can play an invigorating game of drinking, speed Scrabble.

Aren’t you glad to have me and my rants back?!?!?

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm in total agreement with you. And have ALWAYS felt this way...haven't even been to Italy (yet) and have always seen TV a waste of time and commercials absolutely ridiculous!
And would love to experience that mountain view :)
Yes, we Americans are overweight, overindulged and just plain have too much "stuff". And how are children are suffering from our choices!! The more ya have, the more ya work to pay for it, the less you spend time together!
And, I HAVE missed your commentary while you were away :) Glad you're home...
Love you, Nancy (from Franklin)

ann said...

I agree with you completely and am so impressed that you're looking at it correctly, instead of thinking: "What the hell is wrong with these people, why don't they have all this stuff."

Now that I'm moving into a new, smaller house, I've had to take stock of all the crap I've acquired over the years and I find myself wondering the same things: why do I need 15 serving bowls?; so what my wine glasses are Target specials and not Waterford. There are so many more important things in life.

Since my recent life change I've finally been able to appreciate all I have and all the matters. I am blessed with a wonder family and an incredible circle of friends. At any moment, if I need help any one of them ( and probably all of them) would be by my side, no questions asked! You can't buy that, no matter how much money you have...but I know it makes me a very rich person!

Anonymous said...

You are SO right, Alisa. I have to admit, though, that while riding a jam-packed bus in Rome in August, I did wish more people had paid attention to the deodorant ads :-) The only thing I end up missing while in Italy - with the exception of family and friends who aren't there with me - is a powerful and hot shower.
If you really want an eye-opener about the misappropriated values in our culture, take a little trip to a 3rd World country like Ecuador or Argentina where the average income is about $1000 a year. When Molly studied in Argentina, the greatest lesson she said she learned was how wonderful it was to live in a culture where time with family and friends are more important than money.
And that's why everyone should travel, damn it!
It was great to see you and Hailey last week. I'm already looking forward to the next time.
love
aunt joan