Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Cake Controversy




I am about to tell a story that has kept us in absolute hysterics for the better part of a week now. I hope that I can accurately capture the true absurdity of the entire situation from all angles. Names will not be changed to protect the guilty. So, just sit right back and you'll read a tale...a tale of a fateful cake.

Let me start by saying that this is the ridiculous cake that I decided to get from Publix for Hailey's birthday. I know it plays into her princess-obsession which I loathe, but can you imagine the look of sheer joy that will come across her face when she sees it? That look alone was worth the $60 for the cake (what was I just saying about our princess being spoiled?). It was supposed to be a 3-minute call...a 3-minute call!!!!

Now the insanity and the subsequent controversy surrounding the cake began on Saturday (one week from Hailey's party which is 8/1) when my mother (who is in town now) decided that we could save money if she made the cake instead of buying it from Publix. Her plan was simply to bake, frost, and lightly decorate the square cakes that make up the bulk of it and then purchase the turrets and princess dolls for $15 on Ebay. Not a bad idea considering that she is fairly crafty and has a history of baking all of my cakes when I was little. I tell her that if she can pull of such a feat, I will put the cost difference in Hailey's college savings account (hey - every little bit counts, man!).

All we have to do is get Luke to buy in to this plan...here's where it gets a bit complicated. Luke decides that he wants to make the cake himself. As my mother and I begin to resist this plan, his scheme grows ever more complex, like an elaborate spider's web that pulls you in deeper the more you resist. Suddenly, he not only has to bake the cakes himself, but they must be from scratch - no cake mixes. Also, he has to roll his own fondant (that smooth type of frosting that is used on wedding cakes) - not the fondant you can buy at Michaels but the kind he's going to make himself, from scratch! Oh, and no buying the turrets, those have to be constructed from cake formed onto wooden dowels. Princesses, of course, will be sculpted and painted by hand from fondant. Before our very eyes, the husband that I know and love transformed into Duff Goldman, the Ace of Cakes himself. I mean, if these people who have gone to engineering and/or pastry chef school, have been making cakes for years, and have professional equipment can build 3' cakes from scratch on Food Network, then of course Luke can do it right in our very own kitchen.

Stay tuned for the next installment of the Cake Controversy tomorrow...

5 comments:

peter said...

I pretty much can guess what happens...but I'm still on the edge of my seat!

Love,
Dad/Grandpa Pete

ann said...

Please do yourself a favor and avoid the headaches, arguments and ultimate disappointment and last minute craziness....order the cake!

I know your mom can do it and I'm sure Luke will give it the old college try, but if my advice matters at all...if you think that perhaps Aunite Ann knows something and has learned something from all she has been through...if you never listen to another piece of advise from me again, please heed my words now...order the cake!!! Hell, I give you the $60 bucks! Just trust me on this one. This will not be pretty.

Anonymous said...

OK, now I'm just really mad that you live far away. I would pay money (significant amounts of college fund money) to see how this little saga turns out. Please take lots and lots of video of the process and PLEEEASE post it on your blog asap!

Also, be glad that Chris isn't closer because you know he would be right there next to Luke constructing a moat and working drawbridge around the dang thing!

Speaking of which, do you remember the night that Chris and Luke decided they were going to make 4 different kinds of phyllo dough fillings? And remember how grumpy you and I were by 9:45 when it was finally time to eat? Well if he thought we were impatient, I can't wait to see how he handles a hungry hoard of three year olds ;)

Unknown said...

i think you should just make your peanut butter pie :)

nro said...

omg. i can't wait to see the next episode! ;) are you going to do a cost comparison on the "homemade" option (which could potentially involve a tool purchase... danger danger)... vs. the publix version? does the extra cost come OUT of hailey's college savings? ;)
- nikki