Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Matter of Time

Hailey loves to dot her sentences with statements about time. "Yesterday I ate yogurt for breakfast." "Tomorrow we're going to the pool." "Today I'm going to have my birthday party." The only problem is that she had yogurt today, she went to the pool yesterday, and her birthday party is in a few weeks. It gets a bit confusing.

One day I thought that I would straighten the whole thing out with a little explanation of time. A few sentences in to my brilliant solilique I realized that time is really hard to explain. Today is today, tomorrow is tomorrow, yesterday was yesterday...what???? I made several attempts; Luke made an attempt that sounded just like mine but he claimed was better. Guess what? Yesterday we'll try again, and today maybe she'll get it, but tomorrow she didn't understand.

No comments: