Thursday, July 23, 2009

Post Post Partum

While I was searching Craigs List for Sophia’s cribs, I encountered several women who had held on to their cribs for years after their children were no longer using them. With some degree of self righteousness, I laughed at these women. What were they thinking storing that junk in their garages and attics for years? Unfortunately, now I understand. See, I’ve been a bit emotional lately about all things baby. Sophia is four months old now, and she's growing up too fast. I just can't imagine that this might be the last time that I have a baby in my life. I may never be pregnant again, never experience the thrill and exhilaration of birth again, never nurse another child, and never again wake up every morning to that wonderful baby smell. I love being a Mom. I love every part of the journey (except the whining).

Why am I worrying about this right now?
I have no earthly idea. There's no reason that I couldn't get pregnant again, except for the frightening prospect of having 3 teenage girls in a few years. Well, actually there's a lot of reasons - way more than my logical brain can ponder at this moment. Why am I such a big emotional mess??? Can you get post partum after 4 months?

2 comments:

ann said...

My last child was born 15 years ago and I still feel that way. There's nothing as wonderful...and challenging...as being a mom. I can't say I blame you at all. By the way, I still have my kids' crib. Miss you guys!

peter said...

But, the thing is...last time, with Hailey, you pretty much knew that there would probably be another. This time...who knows? Let me just remind you, as a one-time father, that everything you will miss from being a "new" mother will be immediately replaced on a daily basis with new wonders that your children will present to you. And that NEVER ends, because you still present them to me as a constant source of joy and amazement.

Love,
Dad/Grandpa Pete